About Me

My Photo
Amanda
I'm a single foster mother who loves spending time with my sweet little one, traveling, and making memories. I am a Reading Interventionist at an elementary school and love what I do!
View my complete profile

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Let's Get Real

Let's get real, summer is over. Today is the first day back to school for teachers--exactly one week before our classrooms will be filled with students. It amazes me just how quickly this summer has gone. It seems like we just got out of school two weeks ago.

Every summer I hear annoying comments from people who are not teachers, and I would just like to take time to clear them up. I usually just smile and nod, however this is what I'd really like to say.

"It must be nice to have all summer off."
Yes, it would be nice to have all summer off, but I wouldn't know anything about that. As a teacher, my summer is full of organizing/moving my classroom, getting things ready for the students to come back, making copies, doing lesson plans, attending professional development, and/or taking Master's classes. At any given moment, you can pull into our school's parking lot and see several cars belonging to teachers who are working to prepare for the next school year. Yes, there is time off, but it's not all summer by any means.

"You get off at 2:30 and have the whole rest of the day to yourself."
Okay, so this is partially true. I do get off at 2:30, but I'm also at work by 6:45. Many afternoons are spent in meetings, planning, or preparation for the next day. Most teachers do not leave at 2:30. When I do leave school, I have to do all of the things that normal people do--go to the bank, grocery store, errands, doctor's appointments, etc. There is also time spent grading papers, making phone calls, and preparing for the next day's lesson. Don't forget that I have to go to bed pretty early to be awake in time for school the next day.

"You get paid for a whole year and only work nine months."
Well, you're just plain wrong about that one. I get paid for 9 months--it is just spread out over the year. Teachers do not get paid for the summer. And, as previously mentioned, we definitely work more than nine months.

"I wish I got a Fall Break."
You probably do; it's called vacation time, and you can use it when you like.

Those are just a few of the numerous comments that annoy me, and probably most teachers. I would also like to take this time to clear up any other misconceptions about the teaching profession.

1) Lunch breaks are extremely short. (You usually have 10-15 minutes to eat.)
2) We don't get bonuses.
3) We spend A LOT of our own money and are not reimbursed.
4) In KY we are required to earn a Master's degree. This is very expensive.
5) We do not "play" all day as some people think.
6) Any extra time spent at school is unpaid.

As this school year begins, take time to thank a teacher for what they do. Ask what you can do to help--bring supplies, volunteer, etc. Teachers do the job that they have because they love children and want to make a difference in their lives. Let's get real--if they didn't, they wouldn't be there.

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio