About Me

My Photo
Amanda
I'm a single foster mother who loves spending time with my sweet little one, traveling, and making memories. I am a Reading Interventionist at an elementary school and love what I do!
View my complete profile

Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

TTYL

I'm pretty much always on my phone. I love to talk, and I think texting is just great. I got my phone bill yesterday and realized that I probably talk and text way too much. During this past cycle, I used 2,618 minutes and 2,135 texts. That's a lot of talking. (Thank goodness for AT&T's rollover, or I would have some serious overage charges.)

I was watching the news the other night and saw that texting while driving has been banned in Kentucky. As of right now, warnings will be issued, but starting next year, a person will be fined for texting while driving.



This news story made me a little squirmy. I do know that I shouldn't be talking on the phone the entire time I'm in the car, nor should I be texting, but I do it anyway. I take pride in the fact that if someone texts me, I get back to them immediately. The more I think about that though, who cares? I have started to realize that none of my friends (sorry guys) are worth the risk of hurting/killing myself or anyone else. I really don't want my obituary to say that I was killed while texting.

As you've probably heard, Oprah has started the No Phone Zone campaign to encourage Americans to stop using their phone while driving. She has included lots of videos and stories about people who have been affected by someone who was distracted by the phone while driving. These stories are the kind that give me goosebumps.



I realize I really have to put the phone down when driving. I know that this is going to seem like an inconvenience, but it's something that has to be done--not only because it's dangerous, but because it will soon be banned. My plan is to use my headset in the car for phone calls, and to keep my cell phone in my purse. I think that will be a pretty big adjustment, but it's something that has to be done.

Do you talk or text while driving? Are you willing to do this with me? Check out Oprah's website for more information, and please, take the pledge. http://www.oprah.com/packages/no-phone-zone.html

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio